Monday, August 1, 2011

Something on Your Mind?


I read an article today about writing (sorry, don't know WHERE). In it, the author suggested writing about something that's been on your mind incessantly.

Well, I can't say this has been an absolute, constant thought, but I've been thinking a lot about my joints. Like the joints in my body... neck, back, knees, ankles, fingers, wrists, collarbone, elbows (yeah)...

I don't know if I've ever written about my most favorite disease: scoliosis. I'm actually not being sarcastic. It is my favorite disease and I have it. It's not that I enjoy having scoliosis. No! But of all diseases, it's pretty easy to manage (mine is mild, I must say... because some folks with major cases of scoliosis would bite my head off right now). It's more like a "never have I ever" or "2 truths and a lie" fact about myself.

However, I've been thinking about my joints a lot because they hurt. In the morning, my body sounds like a popcorn machine. And while I relish in a good neck pop every so often, I wish... oh, I don't know, I wish IT ALL DIDN'T HURT SO MUCH.

I'm second-guessing this article from which I've taken direction. I don't know that writing about what's been on my mind is very fun... I usually use writing to escape my mind. Ha! Well, not to escape it, exactly, but writing is certainly a holiday-like experience for me.

Back to it. Here are the things I've done in the past to help with these joint issues, all associated with my scoliosis (self-diagnosed correlation, by the way). I've had X-rays done, been prescribed anti-inflammatories and allergy meds (why?), gone to physical therapy, gone to the chiropractor, done exercises (inconsistently, cough), gotten massages, gotten acupressure...

And when it comes down to it, I have prayed a lot. I mean, this is something that I do end up thinking about every day because it's always there. But I really am not trying to complain. In fact, I'm just trying to become a better writer. Humph, I'm frustrated.

Ok, ok, where's my closure? I look forward to the day when we will run and jump and skip in heaven with NO pain. Not to mention no tears, no sadness, no weakness, no exhaustion... oh Maranatha, come Lord Jesus!

[Sorry for the gross, boring image... had nothing else.]

No comments: