Saturday, August 14, 2010

Your Glory WILL Cover the Earth!


Wednesday the 11th marked the first day of Ramadan, a 30-day period of prayer and fasting in the Muslim world. I am no expert on the origins or specifics of Ramadan, but have learned quite a bit by reading articles on the subject. I encourage you to educate yourself as well! Since I've recently returned from Turkey, a most-certainly Muslim nation, my heart for the Muslim world is beating extra loudly these days. I asked the Lord how I should pray for Muslims during Ramadan and this idea struck me: to set my alarm clock at the five times a day which correspond to the Muslims' five calls to prayer. Each time I hear the alarm, I pray for Muslims around the world. There has been something so valuable about praying for Muslims as they pray (at least as they pray in my time zone).

I found a cool website (http://islamicfinder.org/) which gives the exact times for calls to prayer in your own city...since those specific times were a little difficult to remember, I rounded my times of prayer to: 6:15am (yeah, I go back to bed after this one!), 1:00pm, 4:40pm, 7:40pm, and 9:00pm. I have also subscribed to a blog (http://ramadanprayer.blogspot.com) which sends me daily prayer points... today, we pray for Syria.

My prayers, my love for Muslims, and my glances toward the Lord are weak...but I believe with my whole heart that he allows my prayers to move HIS heart. So I keep praying. I hope that this short time of spiritual discipline will help shape me into a more aware and caring Christian. If you have never prayed for Muslims, or if you have been looking for a way to contribute to their being reached by the gospel, please pray today. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKJ3skGZpuI) is an example of the beautiful call to prayer heard by Muslims 5-6 times a day throughout the world. As you listen to it, would you pray?

Reading the prayer points from my source today, Habakkuk 2:14 was given to us. It reminded me of one of my favorite songs by Justin Rizzo:
Your glory will cover the earth
As the waters cover the sea
The earth will sing your praises
Forevermore your kingdom shall be

Peace, my friends.

No comments: