Friday, September 10, 2010

This Christian's Call to Prayer


Yesterday was the last day of Ramadan, and let me tell you: praying for Muslims to know Jesus during this time was such a ride! The Lord continually assured me of his presence and work when I prayed and the benefits I received in my Christian walk from following a Muslim's daily schedule of prayer were surprising! There is certainly something to be learned from religions which emphasize ritual and regulation. I feel that Christians in today's society lack spiritual discipline, myself included.

It is imperative to remember that God has perfect unity in his characteristics (Wayne Grudem, "Systematic Theology")... he is completely loving while at the same time completely holy, wrathful, jealous, and kind. He does not "turn one nozzle off in order to turn another on", as my Theology professor pointed out yesterday. What a bad habit we (I!) often fall into of paying attention to the gentle characteristics of God while pushing his powerful ones under the rug. He is the Father who loves us more than we could ever comprehend, but also the Father we do not cross. Talk about the fear of the Lord!

So my thoughts are a combination of debrief from Ramadan and lessons from my Theology class. It's been handy to have both situations going on simultaneously these past few weeks. Because as I think of who my God is... who he REALLY is, I want Muslims to know him. The Lord is certainly softening my heart for the Muslim world and I believe his furthered revelation of himself to me is completely part of this process.

Thanks to those of you who were able to join me in prayer! Our God is victorious!

No comments: