Saturday, March 26, 2011

Owls


I mentioned a while back that I have this new(ish)-found fascination with owls and mushrooms, so I thought I'd share a few of my owls with you!

I like owls because...well to be honest, they're kind of trendy right now. But I think I will always like them. When I was a kid, my family raised parakeets. We had an aviary in the back yard and, at times, would keep up to 50 birds. Waking up to the sound of chirping and bird talk was normal and holding baby birds fresh from their nests in the spring time was always a fun tradition. Maybe I'm naturally inclined to like owls because of my background with birds.

I also love that they are a symbol of wisdom. And they're so calm! Or at least they seem clam...

Ok, so here are a few of my "prized" owls. Enjoy!


An owl bank from Marianna that sits on our "live, laugh, live" table (yes, live twice). My roommates are saving up for a spring break get-away.


Technically, this is a Christmas ornament, but I keep it on our key holder and use it as a hammer. It's seriously the only object in the apartment that works for one!


A hand-carved owl from India! Laura brought this back for me.


Jason Leith made this! He is a wonderful artist friend and you should check out his blog.


I made this when I was eleven! It was an art class project...see? I was destined to love owls.

Thanks for checkin' this out!

3 comments:

Jason Leith said...

woah! i think my favorite is the owl bank. So great. Keep collecting!

Unknown said...

My great grandmother collected owls and she had some amazing things.... Maybe g ma will let me bring you something ...

Megan@SortaCrunchy said...

EEEEEEK! LOVE IT! Oh my gosh. Your collection is so much WAY better than mine. love, love, LOVE. HOOT HOOT!