Friday, September 30, 2011

Apples and Perseverance...

Whew! I need a break.

Good thing we're going to the apple orchard tomorrow! That's right, my family (part of my family, at least) and I will head up to our favorite California apple orchard tomorrow morning, where we will sample apples and apple cider, hike and picnic in the mountains, shop for antiques, watch cider being made, and buy the most decadent caramel apples for the car ride home. Pure joy! ...other than the fact that it's supposed to be 85 degrees tomorrow. I will try with all my might to be thankful for the sunshine. [And you can bet I'll be praying with the rest of my might for a sudden change in weather... which would ideally bring us a chilly autumn day up on the mountain!]

I practiced Lectio Divina today. I believe it's the first time I've done this on my own. Lectio Divina is an ancient spiritual discipline in which the contemplator (me) sits with a short passage or single verse for a good while... I sat for about 25 or 30 minutes and contemplated Psalm 42:7.

"Deep calls to deep
at the roar of your waterfalls;
all your breakers and your waves
have gone over me."

And I realized that my sense of perseverance is lacking. Sitting quietly in contemplatio was a challenge... thinking about what this passage says to my current life's stance of "overwhelmed"... looking at the beginning of my long senior thesis, thinking, "I don't know how to start"... confessing last night the number of hours I've spent watching TV this week, rather than studying (books, classes, the Word, etc.).

Guilt-trip or not, perseverance is something that is difficult for me right now. With that said, I'm glad to be aware. I'm glad that I have a studious history so I know my capabilities. I'm glad I've mapped out a study plan for the coming week of madness. And I am SO glad that tomorrow, for a few hours, all I have to think about are apples...

No comments: