Friday, January 29, 2010

Love you, Sissy!


Laura, my big sister, is one of my favorite people. I remember on her wedding day I wrote her a note that made both of us cry... I recently found that note in a box of hers when we were moving and re-read it. I said I loved being called her little sister, loved sounding like her on the phone, loved looking like her (maybe not so much in this particular picture, but usually there's a remarkable resemblance!)
These things are still true. I have always enjoyed being eight and a half years younger than Laura because we never went through a "fighting stage". We've always been friends. Sure, I've been the annoying little sister plenty of times, but our age difference is mostly a perk. More importantly, her and I relate to each other very well emotionally. We understand each others concerns and inconsistencies (though I am usually impressed with her stability in life!). We have a great coping mechanism when one of us is going through a hard time. We'll ask, "What do you need? Do you need to talk or do you need a distraction?"
I also quite admire Laura's productive compassion. What I mean by productive is this: she does not just feel for the less fortunate, but actually takes practical steps toward helping them. In fact, her job at church is devoted to this sort of care!
She is assertive, yet introverted. She and I can be silly together, but also just be together. She is a great wife and daughter and has a subtle way of looking out for everyone's needs.
My prayer for you, readers, is that you have someone in your life, today and always, who can know you well and love you the way you need to be loved.
Love you, Sissy!

No comments: