Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My pear

A poem which has recently become significant to me is entitled, "Love Does That". My boss introduced our staff to it a few weeks ago and I have lately found myself dwelling on its simple metaphors.

Love Does That
All day long a little burro labors, sometimes
with heavy loads on her back and sometimes just with worries
about things that bother only
burros,
And worries, as we know, can be more exhausting
than physical labor.
Once in a while a kind monk comes
to her stable and brings
a pear, but more
than that,
he looks into the burro's eyes and touches her ears
and for a few seconds the burro is free
and even seems to laugh,
because love does
that.
Love frees.
By: Rumi

I have been worried about things that seem to bother only "Christine"s... I know this is not completely true, but for figurative sake, let's say it is. My kind monk is God and he has sent me plenty of "pears" and "ear touches" in the form of people. In the past twenty four hours alone, I have been prayed for, received numerous encouraging notes, and have been given time by friends who were willing to listen. Not only that, my dear friend Brittany actually gave me a pear! Our God takes care.

If you are struggling with something that bothers only "you"s, I hope you are able to see our kind monk who desires to give us good things, even on exhausting days.

1 comment:

Christine Nichole said...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t5rKPbWSwxo/S3gX1DnRFKI/AAAAAAAADKU/Q5yB5SYji7o/s1600-h/pear.sun.blog.jpg
This image is supposed to go with "My pear"