Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Last First Day

Today I started my senior year of college... I could talk about first day traditions from elementary school, or I could talk about how I can't afford a new first day of school outfit (whatever, I'm fine with it), but I think I want to talk about breakfast.

Yes.

I feel like the blog world is really missing out on the excitement of my new apartment, but my camera is broken! So I will take pictures soon, post them, and talk about one of my very favorite subjects: homemaking. However, what I CAN share today is something I've been really enjoying since moving in. Yes, breakfast!

I've switched over to (mostly) whole wheat and organic sugars in my diet... and it's only made breakfast more delicious. I also got a french press for my birthday and I love the texture of this new coffee experience. My typical breakfast this past week has been: a warm banana bran muffin, plain yogurt with honey, and a cup of coffee with homemade creamer.

My creamer recipe? Sure I'd love to give it to you.
1/4 cup blue agave nectar
1 T vanilla
1 cup organic half & half
splash of water
Combine nectar, water (seriously, just a little splash), and vanilla. Mix and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add half & half and stir. Store in a liquid-friendly/pourable container.

I eat in the corner chair of our sunny kitchen. I prefer to use a coordinating plate, bowl, and mug to off-set the extremely collegiate feel of our mix-matched collection of dishes. This morning I ate with Jesus Calling and the book of Psalms...I communed with the Lord. I think that breakfast is not only the most important meal of the day, but also the most life-giving and soul-nourishing (for me, at least). Now I realize my love for quiet breakfasts can only last for so long since I do want to be a wife and mother one day. But for now, I'm embracing it. I'm embracing the fact that I'm the early bird of the apartment. And though I did enjoy my first class of the semester: Theories of Personality, I think I'm gonna say that my favorite part of this last first day was breakfast.

Thank you, Jesus.

No comments: